Friday, May 11, 2012

First Semester


My first semester (Spring 2010)
Before the semester started I was afraid I could not handle three classes and working full time. But it worked out pretty good, it seemed like speeches for communications and essays for English were due different weeks. And the homework in all the classes was doable. There was only one real bad snow day and it was on the night I had to drive to Goshen High School.


Classes:

EECT 101 Introductions to Electronics and Projects (Mon 6:00-9:45 at South Bend)
I do not remember much about EECT 101, except we had to buy an overpriced power supply kit; we assembled the last few classes, and I still have it. Also the book was made just for Ivy Tech’s EECT 101, so I bought it from the online book store.  Which I do not recommend doing, unless you have to do.  My professor was Rahim Negahban, who is the program chair and my advisor. He has been the professor for most of my electrical classes. He is a good professor and knows electronics. He does expect you to show up and be on time, he is not a stickler about it, and people do get through his classes even if they show up late or not at all. He wants you to ask questions, and does repeat the material a lot so it sinks in.  He is from Turkey so he can be a little hard to understand. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it and I sit close enough I could hear him.

COMM 101 Fundamentals of Public Speaking (Tues 6:00-8:45 at Goshen High School)
I was not looking forward to taking this class. I do not think too many people do look forward to taking it. The only reason I took it when I did was because it did not have a math requirement, and I had not retaken the compass test to try and get a higher math score. I am so glad I did take it right away and get it behind me. The professor for this class was Lori Roe. She as a good professor, she understood we did not want to get up in front of people and give speeches.  But she also made you go outside of your confront zone by assigning some speech topics. The class was off site and she forgot the final exam, so it became an oral exam.  With the extra credit I managed to get over a 100% in this class.

ENGL 111 English Composition (Wed 6:00-8:45 at Elkhart)
Again this was a class I was not looking forward to taking, but it also did not have a math requirement, and I am also glad it is behind me. The professor for this class was Thomas Hummel.  He was a real good professor. He had just moved here so is wife could attend Notre Dame for her graduate degree.  He also liked students to ask questions and participate in class.  I had someone I worked with look over my papers before I turned them in to be graded.  I got an 89.8%, I was two points over what I needed for an A.



No comments: